Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Change of mind and heart

The last post was meant to be a transition to a new blog and site.  I have struggled with this as I could not leave behind what this blog has been and done.  So I have decided to continue here and not abandon.  This blog started out as a  story of our transition to simple living and the construction of our shelter.  The problem is, a shelter can become so much more and ours has.  What I did not understand four years ago was that the thought process that we used to construct this beautiful shelter could be described in one word.

Mindfulness

This word like the words simple living have been overused and commercialized, but the essence and the definition of this word has rung true for thousands of years.  This simple word has guided many individuals and entire societies toward both inner peace and global peace.  By its very definition (it has many) it is a non-judgmental compassionate view grounded in the present moment that can be a beacon of light in our darkest days.  So now when someone says how did we build our house?  I can say mindfully.

So where is this blog going to go?  I hope down a path that can bridge the ideas of simple living, health and community, but whatever path it takes I hope that I can do it with my full efforts on being mindful and in full awareness of what is good in me and society.

Here are some words that motivated me to start posting to this blog again.


"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief.
  Do justly now. Love mercy now. Walk humbly now.
        You are not obliged to complete the work,
           but neither are you free to abandon it."

Rabbi Tarfon, The Talmud

A smile to anyone that reads this blog

Ben

1 comment:

  1. My wife and son are moving to Wells, Maine in June. I love Maine. And your blog too!

    ReplyDelete