Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sometimes is takes 40 people to encourage you

Lately I have been frustrated with the general publics ability to embrace even the most simple enviromental changes  (A pay as you throw program for garbage).  Even if we are not driving off the cliff of global warming, there are things we can do to make our environment a little cleaner. I  can get so mad, angry and just want to retreat into my own private world and give up on my enviromental convicitons.  Untill.....

30 people give up a Saturday morning and show up at a talk on solar energy.  Not only show up, but are thirsty for knowledge on how to move themselves or family to more renewable energy.  What a feeling to have a diverse group of people about to embrace something as important as solar energy, give of their time to listen to me speak of my experiences and convictions.  I am truely humbled.

Recently I started reading a book call "Mindfully Green" by Stephanie Kaza.  She talks of the green movement making a transformation from a green lifestyle to a green lifeway.  In addition she writes of methods to allow the frustration of making progress to be transformed into new energy.  Stop.  Breath.  Let the feelings of frustration wash over you.  Breath.  Let the feelings awaken what lies at the bottom of your convictions to help carry you through.  Often when I am in meditation, I have a vision in which I see this quiet peaceful movement of people, a movement that is hidden from view and obscured by critics.  It is a movement that is slowly growing and putting down a solid foundation of mutual trust and sending out branches of peace.  It is a movement that will grow quietly in the shadows until one day blossom, and at that time the momemtum will be so great that even the critics will be silenced and we will all live once again in harmony with our earth, its creatures and each other.  I see this movement every time I talk with someone who has simple living in their heart.  (This last sentence given to me by my 7 year old).

Speaking to groups of people always reminds me of how expansive the movement can grow.  Two people speak to 30.  30 people speak to 60 more.  60 more speak to 120, and so the movement grows.

Stand true to your convictions and speak out to those that will listen.  Together we can all be the change we want to see in the world.

Stay warm, surround yourself with positive people and stay close to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment