Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Days are shorter and soon solstice will arrive

I love this time of year.  The raining down of acorns and leaves.  The animals getting all fuzzy and storing food away for the winter.  The cool fall days that seem to be just on the cusp of a frosty wonderland.  We just had our first soft frost, but I prefer the first real hard frost, when you walk out in the morning after being all warm in bed and take a deep breath in and feel the cool air going all the way to your core.  This is the time of the year when the building and growing stops and we transition to more cerebral pursuits.   A time of the year to rest for a bit before the darkness sets in and we all hunker down for the winter.  I like the break, it gives me time to plan next years garden, expand my knowledge and cozy up with the family by a warm fire.   I recently returned from a conference that was all about using the mind to help heal the body.  I think that winter time is a good time to focus on this.  A restful healing time to restore ones vitality in preparation for the next growing season.  Nature seems to know this and humans seem to have forgotten this.  I plan on doing a whole bunch of healing this winter.  I am planning on a good tune up of my mind, body and spirit.  With these three in balance next summer is looking to be a bountiful year.

Now for the house stuff
It is now October 20th and we have yet to turn on the heat or need a fire to heat the house.  The house temp has stayed between 66 and 73 degrees and we have at times needed to open some windows to cool the place off.  After collecting data for 2 years, I think we have shown that you do not need to have 1ft thick walls, fancy systems or new power plants.  We have the technology to live greener right now.  Through conservation, good construction and mindful consumption our society can protect the only home we have.

Namaste

I am available for lectures or teaching please feel free to email me at bensimpleliving(at)gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment